Wednesday 20 April 2011

Super Tots and Cameras

Smorti (1999) states that "technology is a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting the needs of opportunities through the development of products systems and environments (p.5)".  Children would be able to take this opportunity to capture their learning moments whilst experimenting and developing their skills. 

Today when I went to the centre, I came to know that teacher’s were given a new camera. I was trying to take the picture with the new camera when child, K and E saw me taking pictures with a digital camera. They asked me if they can take pictures with my camera. I asked teacher J if it was okay for them to use the camera, and she said they can use the old one as it is for them. I showed them the pictures that I had taken with the camera. They loved the pictures and were excited about it. I noticed that they were curious about what I was doing and thus wanted to do the same.  They wanted to see how the pictures they are about to take are going to be. I asked them some open ended questions like “Do you know how to use the camera? Child K replied, yes, mummy showed me how to take pictures in camera (MacNaughton & Williams, 2008). I can show E how to use the camera. "Owesome! Here's the camera (old camera), you can take as many pictures as you want, I encouraged. 

They took photos of many things and I saw child K teaching child E how to press the click button so that a picture is taken. I was watching them but didn’t interrupt their session on picture taking. I talked to them when they asked me something, because I wanted them to do things on their own and learn about technology. After that, I wanted them to decide where the picture should be taken, so I asked them, “Where would you like to take the picture?” child K, immediately said, “I know, over there, in the sandpit!” We went outside and then they took the photos. Then they walked around the garden, stopped and took some more photos, of their friends, the garden and the obstacle course.  Then they came to me and I showed them the pictures they took and the other features of the camera.  They passed the camera to each other to have pictures of themselves taken. From today, obviously K and E are developing some photography skills. They might have seen their parents or other relatives taking pictures with cameras, and may have used one at home themselves. From noticing their interests, their words and what they were doing with the camera, shows that they already have some knowledge of how cameras work. They could have learned these ‘photography skills’ at home or elsewhere.

It is important that the children’s skills within their interests such as photography, communication skills and social skills are developed and extended further. They will stay excited and keen to learn more. They will thus develop a “perception of themselves as ‘explorers’ – competent, confident learners who ask questions and make discoveries” (Ministry of Education, 1996 p.88).  They were so eager and curious to use the camera, so I felt that it was a good opportunity for them to use this technology to help them learn. Their exploration, curiosity and giving things a go are valuable and important ways to learn (Ministry of Education, 1996). 

As a teacher I feel it is important to support, encourage and implement on children’s interests and curiosity. These are all important to them and their learning. They can they build on this knowledge of the world around them (Allen, 2002). K and E are provided with the opportunities for them to use and build on their interest in digital cameras. This would enhance their learning and thinking further. To extend their interest even further, I would want to provide the children with more opportunities for exploration with the possibility of showing them different cameras. However showing them cameras on internet can extend their learning where they will have ideas about different kinds and types of cameras. I can also extend their learning by getting a professional photographer and showing them around with the cameras, I am sure I can find someone within the centre. These are the ways I can think of extending child K and child E’s learning on technology. If you have any suggestions or any other ways to extend their learning then feel free to post a comment.
         Allen, P.(2002). Science and Technology in the early childhood setting. Christchurch, New            Zealand: User Friendly Resources.

            MacNaughton, G., & William, G. (2009).  Techniques for teaching young children: Choices          in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenches Forrest, NSW, Australia: Pearson Prentice          Hall.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whãriki: He whãriki mãtauranga mõ ngã mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington: Learning Media.

              Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, No.19 Autumn 1999, 5-10. 





1 comment:

  1. I liked reading your post Priti. As an educator, you were able to facilitate the children's curiosity of learning by providing them with a camera. This ensured that they were able to view their environment from different angles. For instance, in one picture, a child is photographing the grains of sand in the toy truck. This shows us as teachers that even the smallest things have value for children because they are still learning about the world. That is why, we should never undermine their interest for the world around them (Grant, 2010). Furthermore, K and E were able to act as Ako and Teina when K scaffolded E's use of the camera (Santrock, 2008). Overall, the use of the camera as a form of technology helped them both teach and learn from each other. It is wonderful that you want to extend their learning by introducing them to the different types of cameras as well as getting a professional photographer to show them how to photograph in different ways. Perhaps they could also try taking a video from a digital camera instead of taking photographs. Then, you could upload it onto the computer and show the children that it is possible to shoot video footage as well as stills.

    Santock, J.(2008).Life-span development. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies.

    Grant, M. (2010). Technology integration in early childhood and primary classrooms: access, use and pedagogy remain criticial components to success. Memphis, Tennessee, USA: University of Memphis.

    ReplyDelete