Wednesday 20 April 2011

Making Robot with Boxes

Today before going to the centre I decided that I will talk to children about, Martin’s robots. He inspired me so much that I wanted to share with the children. After mat time I told the children about the robots I saw in the class and it seemed that the children were getting excited when they heard the word robot. All the boys came to me and started asking questions like, what did you see and how big was it. Looking at their interest in robots, I decided to make robots with them and see if they were interested.  Having children’s safety in mind I decided to make the robot with some sustainable materials like foil rolls and boxes etc. As Te Whāriki says “Children experience an environment where they are kept safe from harm (Ministry of Education, 1996). After morning tea we started to make robots and some of the girls joined the boys to help them make one.
I asked children some open ended questions like what we need to make a robot and how big our robots going to be. Children came up with different answers like we can make a robot with big box so that it will be a big robot. I wanted children to think and come up with different ideas so that they can extend their learning in technology by deciding what they can and can’t use (MacNaughton & Williams, 2009).
Children got busy making robot. I could see the excitement in their eyes and because they were all waiting for the outcome they started to help each other and interacted with each other. After spending a lot of time together they were able to make a robot with my help. They made 4 legged creature with a big head and it looked like sponge bob only with four legs. He was called Bobo.
Children created their own ideas to make the robot and I was there to help if they needed me. From today, obviously children are developing some skills. They might have seen the robot in the cartoons and may have seen somewhere in the stores. From noticing their interests, their words and what they were doing with the robot, shows that they already have some knowledge of how a robot works. Looking at their involvement in a project started me to think of ways to extend their learning in making robots. I decided to make a cardboard robot due to some safety issues but later on I will make a real metal robot with children so that they can have the idea of technology around them.
To extend children’s learning in technology I will go to Martin’s website and show them different types of robots that he created. This will give them more ideas and I will ask them to bring any unused safe metals so that we can start making some real robots. This can extend their learning because it has obviously extended my learning in technology and in coming future if robots will do everything for the world then children will have enough ideas as to how to use them. These are the ways I will try and extend children’s learning and if any one has any new idea to share with me then will wait for your comment.


MacNaughton, G., & William, G. (2009).  Techniques for teaching young children: Choices     in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Frenches Forrest, NSW, Australia: Pearson Prentice          Hall.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whariki: He Whariki matauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.







 

2 comments:

  1. Robot! What a great idea! I really enjoyed reading your blog Priti. The children used their imagination and knowledage to create a sponge bob looking robot called Bobo. You mentioned in your blog a few times regarding safety issue. I think this is really important too! By making a robot the children expressed their creativity of a robot from what they already learnt. It is obvious that in children’s mind, a robot should look like a “person”. To extend their learning and knowledge further, I would suggest to show them pictures or examples of different robot. Robot is a mechanical intelligent agent which can perform tasks on its own, or with guidance. Therefore it is not limited to be “person” look alike. You may also talk about the reason we have the robot, and introduce some simple function of the robot to the children, such as the robot can rescue survivors after earthquake. During this activity, the children put their thoughts into action. They interacted with each other, also practiced their eye hand cooperation skills, manipulative skills and communication skills. I think, in this activity, the children were introduced to other technology such as scissors, glue or maybe staples? Overall, I think this is a great activity and teaching moment for both you and the children. I look forward to read your other blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Priti
    I liked how you had thought of your children's safety and used sustainable materials when you were helping the children make a robot. The children were able to express their creativity and has the opportunity to develop their thinking and planning skills as well when you asked them open ended questions, so they were able to make their own decisions. I liked that. The children also had the opportunity to work in a group and thus develop social skills and learn to work together. You acknowledged that they already have prior knowledge of how robots work and thus they were able to utilise this and show you what they know when they were engaged in this activity. Good for you that you are thinking of making a robot with metal with the children, as some people may not want to take that risk. I thought it was funny how the robot looked like spongebob, that's the exciting part of making things, you never know how it would turn out. To extend on the children's interest, maybe you and the children could try to construct a robot with other materials such as with wood at the carpentry area maybe? Also I wonder if there are any books about robots that you could show the children? Martins website is a good start though, I'm sure the children would be fascinated at his robots. As well as that website you could also go to Google where you could find more stuff for the children to see. Great work!

    ReplyDelete